We headed first to the highlands of Guatemala where we spent a few nights in Antigua before moving on to Lake Atitlán to enjoy the scenery, renew friendships at the Cooperativa Spanish School, and celebrate with our Beca Project students and their families. Then we flew to the island of Roatán, Honduras for beaches, snorkeling, diving, and flyfishing. HAPPY TRAILS!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Goodbye Antigua, hello Lake Atitlan

We woke when we felt like it and enjoyed a nice breakfast - famed cinnamon bread French toast with honey and home made yogurt at Doña Luisa Xicotencatl - and bought a loaf of bread from their bakery for the road.
We wove through town back to Casa Cristina, then enjoyed a hike up through the woods to Cerro de la Cruz, a huge cross and view point above the city.
A few parting shots of Antigua - the arch, deserted early in the morning
a bazaar folk art dragon (but never fear - looks like the saints and angels will protect us)
a flute and drum group in front of La Merced
the building across from Casa Cristina
Our 12:30 shuttle arrived to pick us up just before 1:00, then circled Antigua for 45 minutes (occasionally the wrong way on a one way street) picking up the rest of the passengers, 15 of us in all.
Road construction slowed the trip but we enjoyed the market scene during our longest delay.
At last we reached Panajachel and our rest stop for the night, Mario's Rooms; at just over $20/double including a nice típico breakfast, it's one of the best values around.
You know your stuff will stay put when it's in an enormous double-locked safe like this one!
A few photos from the garden at Mario's
We shopped a bit but didn't buy anything, had a nice dinner at Llama de Fuego, then early to bed and early to rise. After our nice típico breakfast at Mario's with coffee and jamaica tea (my new favorite), we took a tuktuk to the Atitlán Reserve; shared with Mike, I liked it even better than last year.
Just as we finished it started to rain which meant no incomers to the reserve which meant no tuktuks and a very soggy walk back to town - soaked to the bone but no worse for wear.
We packed up and headed to the dock where we waited (and waited) for the boat to San Pedro La Laguna to fill. Here's a vendor giving Mike the hard sell (note the purple scarf).
After a huge meal at the weekly barbecue at La Piscina
and a quick trip up the street to buy juice and a mango for breakfast, we settled into our beautiful home for the week - an apartment at the Cooperativa school. Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment